Welcome!

Did you know that eight percent of children and two percent of all Americans have at least one food allergy?Food Allergy Aid is dedicated to providing a meaningful resource to these people and their loved ones to keep these potentially life-threating allergies managable.


Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Food Allergies

I should introduce myself. My name is Sherry Langston. I am a registered nurse with a bachelor's degree and have been dealing with food allergies for practically my whole life. You see, I am allergic to peanuts and sesame seeds. Most people might think that two food allergies is not a big deal. They could not be more wrong. Food allergies are tough and, to many, it is a scary experience - especially if you are a parent of a food allergic child.

My son is 4 years old and has 7 food allergies - wheat, milk, eggs, soy, peauts, oats, and green peas. The experience of raising him is what has changed my life and my perception of food allergies. He is who has made me passionate about helping others deal with this lifestyle.

Most people want to immediately feel sorry for our son because he cannot eat what others eat - we are quick to stop them and explain that this is not something that you need to feel bad about for him!! The mantra that my husband and I use to deal with this is "there are worse things than food allergies". Now, we understand that allergies are serious but we choose to view this as something positive rather than negative. With careful consideration of food choices and the proper resources, food allergies are completely manageable! It is not necessary for anyone to feel "different" or left out because of food allergies. There are TOO MANY resources out there to help make lives easier. I hope that you find this site helpful. Please e-mail me with any questions or comments - personal or about the site. I would love to hear from you!

The E-book will be available soon! This book contains a lot of helpful tips and many resources! Check back for when it will be available!

No comments: