Welcome!

Did you know that eight percent of children and two percent of all Americans have at least one food allergy?Food Allergy Aid is dedicated to providing a meaningful resource to these people and their loved ones to keep these potentially life-threating allergies managable.


Wednesday, November 14, 2007

They Have What In That?!

I am never surprised to find allergens in products that I would never expect them to be in. I used to buy a popular brand of sugar cookie until I discovered that the sugar cookies contained peanut flour! Who would have thought! I also found italian tomato paste that contains sesame. With this in mind, I check all tomato sauces. It is important to remember that one should never assume that an ingredient is not in a food item - you just never know. I always ask to see packages, ingredient lists, etc. for myself and my son. I do not want to risk our health over being shy about asking about ingredients. In restaurants, always ask to speak to the manager if possible - the waiter will usually get the manager anyway and it saves you from giving your "allergy talk" twice.

There are also many hidden allergens in make-up, shampoos, medicine, and many other products. There may be peanut oil in make-up, wheat in shampoo, or soy ingredients in medicines. Ensure that you are aware of all of the "other" names for allergens so that you will recognize them in products. Pharmacies will usually be able to tell you what ingredients are in medicines - just ask. I have done this successfully before.

Another piece of information that is important to remember is that "hypoallergenic" is not always safe! Many cosmetic companies advertise as being hypoallergenic. The FDA warns that there is no true definition for hypoallergenic - this way, companies can use the term however it applies to them.

Check websites and call companies. I can promise that you are not the first person to call about allergies. It takes extra time and effort but it will put your mind at ease and you will quickly learn which companies you can trust.

The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network sells a catalog of common companies and their contact information.

No comments: